Moving to Kingston (Kingston Area Minor Hockey Association)

PrintMoving to Kingston

Moving to Kingston

If you are moving to Kingston and want your son or daughter to be eligible to attend Rep Tryouts, the following guide will provide a step by step walk through of what’s required before attending tryouts.

A word on playing rep/competitive hockey in Kingston:

Kingston is a residence restricted association, and fully abides by OMHA Regulation 3.3 governing that only confirmed residents of Kingston shall be eligible to tryout, and be rostered to a Rep team. 

Please note if you are moving to Kingston from outside the OMHA (GTHL, Alliance, NOHA) you must contact your outgoing member partner directly.  Your outgoing centre will process your move and notify the OMHA/Kingston if your move has been approved.  Only then would you be eligible to tryout and be rostered to a Kingston team.

If you are moving from another OMHA centre, please follow the steps below.

Please read the instructions in its entirety and follow accordingly.  Applications that are not complete will not be processed and will only delay completion.

Step 1: Obtain the necessary documents:

Mandatory Documents 

  • Copy of Birth Certificate for Player
  • Copy of Purchase or Rental Agreement (amounts can be blacked out)
  • Copy of Drivers License with new Kingston Address
  • Copy of Home Insurance with new Kingston Address
  • Copy of bills with the new Kingston address (the more the better)
  • Copy of school enrollment confirmation (citing school year)
  • A letter authorizing the OMHA to call and confirm school attendance throughout the year
  • Notary Public Affidavit in split custody circumstances, with split residence, confirming the player resides within Kingston more than 50% of the time (joint-custody). .  Note this can also be used as additional documentation in other family or custody orders


Optional Documents (ensure approval)


  • Property Tax bill/statement for new Kingston Address
  • Land Title/Deed


Step 2: Scan each document individually.

Do not scan all documents into one big file.  Scan each as its own file/attachment.

The attachments MUST be in PDF format (the only acceptable format) and each document must be smaller than 3MB.

Step 3: Complete online Residential Transfer Form

Step 4: An automated email will be sent once the forms have been received.

Step 5: Once you get the “RECEIVED” email from KAMHA, please allow sufficient time for KAMHA to process, upload, and get OMHA to approve documents in the Hockey Canada Registry.  Once approved, you will receive an email notifying you that you are now eligible to register your player to attend Rep Tryouts.

Important Note: This is an easy, straightforward and reasonably streamlined process if the requestor provides all mandatory supporting documentation, in the correct format, at the correct time. In the event one or more obligatory documents aren’t provided, no guarantee on response time exists, and it’s probable that the player will miss some/all tryouts. As with all things, the more documentation the better, so the more proof you can provide the higher the possibility of a quick approval.

Please direct any questions and/or concerns to KAMHA's Registrar, Bonnie Denna at [email protected]. 



Q. I am moving to Kingston from another centre that is not part of the OMHA (GTHL, out of province, etc.) - does that make a difference?

A. Yes it does! Per OHF regulation E.99, if you are transferring from another hockey centre that is outside of the OMHA, you will also need to contact your outgoing centre and they will process your move.

Q. I am thinking about moving to Kingston, but haven’t settled on a home/condo/rental.  How does this impact me?

A. Your player is not eligible to play Kingston Rep Hockey until you satisfy all documentation requirements outlined above.

Q. I have purchased a home/condo/rental in Kingston, but I don’t move in until after Tryouts.  Is my player eligible to skate at Tryouts?

A. Please contact Bonnie Denna directly at [email protected]

Q. We have joint custody of our player, and one parent is in Kingston, the other is not – is my player eligible for tryouts under this circumstance?

A. As long as you can satisfy all documentation requirements above, including an affidavit that proves more than 50% of the player’s time is spent with the Kingston parent, and the player attends school in Kingston, then the player will be eligible.

Q. My purchased home in Kingston doesn’t close until after the 2018-19 season starts (Sept) – what now?

A. Unfortunately, your player will not be able to participate in tryouts for the 2018-19 season as per current OMHA regulations.

Q. Can I register before you approve my residency request?

A. No – the Hockey Canada Registry will block all activity by Kingston until such time that the residency request is processed.

Q. I don’t agree with this residency stuff and I am going to file a false move.

A. You should be aware that every Residency/Move request and all documentation is thoroughly investigated by the OMHA, and any false claim or misleading information may result in player suspension for a prolonged period of time, regardless of association (Hockey Canada).

Q. What is the process between the KAMHA and the OMHA?  I want to know more.

A. Your documents will be reviewed by the KAMHA for completeness, accuracy and format.  Should they pass this preliminary review, the KAMHA will upload each document to the player’s permanent member profile on the Hockey Canada Registry (HCR).  Once each document has been uploaded and accepted by this secure program, an OMHA representative will review the submission for authenticity and completeness.  The OMHA will then a)approve, b)decline, or c)investigate for possible fraud the move, and will notify the KAMHA accordingly.  Once notified, the KAMHA will notify the member of the decision and next steps.

Q. I am moving into Kingston but my player has no interest in Rep or Select and will not be trying out for any of those teams, nor are they interested in being an affiliated player to a Rep or Select Team – what process do I follow?

A. Please follow the same process and select "House League" on the Residential Transfer Form.